I'm Joleen Emery, the host of Happy Time Craftcast. Today, I am thrilled to take you on a creative journey into the fascinating world of book folding artistry. In this episode, we explore the art of transforming old books into stunning works of art through the magic of folding. Join me as I share my passion, techniques, and insights on this unique craft.
Whether you're a seasoned crafter or a beginner looking to explore a new creative avenue, this podcast has something special in store for you. We'll be delving into the basics of book folding, showcasing some inspiring examples, and even hosting a Q&A session later on.
Sourcing Books for Book Folding
Now, some may wonder about the environmental impact of using books for art, and I completely understand those concerns. I want you to know that I'm dedicated to using books that are either destined for the landfill or are in poor condition. I source them from libraries, yard sales, recycling centers, and community donations. It's all about giving these books a second life and turning them into something beautiful.
Cleaning and Maintaining Folded Books
Keeping our folded books in pristine condition is crucial. I'll be sharing some invaluable tips on cleaning books used in our art, including the use of a Black & Decker Dustbuster Mini. We'll also address concerns about dust accumulation and the use of hot glue in our projects. Plus, I'll reveal my secret to hanging these folded wonders on walls without damaging them.
Methods for Hanging Folded Books
Hanging folded books can be a creative challenge in itself. I'll describe three methods to get those beautiful creations up on your walls. From making holes in the book jackets and reinforcing them with tape to using florist wire or plate hangers, there's a method for every style.
Measure, Mark, and Fold (MMF) Technique
One of the key techniques in book folding is the Measure, Mark, and Fold (MMF) technique. This method involves precision and patience as we measure and mark each page before folding, creating intricate and captivating designs. I'll also discuss where to find MMF patterns and why I prefer more abstract and freeform folding styles.
Tools and Tips for Book Folding
Crafting is all about having the right tools in your arsenal. I'll introduce you to some essential tools, such as a weighted page holder and a bone folder, which make folding a breeze. Concerned about paper cuts? Don't worry; I'll assure you they are rare in my experience. And to get you started, I'll demonstrate two folding techniques: "The Silo" and "The Sailboat."
Advanced Folding Techniques
For those of you looking to take your book folding skills to the next level, I've got a treat for you. I'll be demonstrating several complex folding patterns that will leave you in awe. These advanced techniques open up a world of creative possibilities, and I can't wait to share them with you.
Variations of the Corset and Other Folds
In this segment, we'll dive into variations of the corset fold, a popular choice in book folding. I'll also introduce you to the pinwheel fold, a unique technique where multiple pages are tucked into the gutter without creasing, creating an open and captivating look. We'll explore other folds like the flower fold, a modified grain bin, and a modified paper airplane fold, each offering its own visual charm.
Benefits of Crafting and Meditation
Crafting isn't just about creating beautiful art; it's also a form of meditation. I'll discuss an article from CNN titled "This is your brain on Crafting," which highlights the meditative aspects of crafting. I'll share my personal journey of how book folding has become a source of relaxation and stress relief for me. We'll also touch on crafting as a natural antidepressant and its potential to prevent aging.
Current and Upcoming Projects
Let's talk about some exciting projects! I recently completed a Dark Angel artwork for my son, and I'm currently working on a project involving the gold edges of book pages. I'll emphasize the importance of utilizing all parts of a book in our projects to minimize waste and create something truly remarkable.
Current Crafting Project and Upcoming Events
My current project involves creating a rainbow-themed artwork using gold-edged coils from book pages—a project close to my heart. I'll also give you a sneak peek into the upcoming retreats at Big Raven Farm, including a Valentine Couples Retreat and various crafting and yoga events. Plus, I'll announce our next guest on the Happy Time Craftcast for the January 24th episode.
Join our crafts club, where you can receive monthly art kits, including a lamp-making kit. I'll also answer some personal questions, giving you a glimpse into my creative world. You'll learn about my favorite word, my least favorite word, and what sparks my creativity.
Before we say goodbye, I'd like to extend a special invitation. If you've enjoyed this episode and want to stay updated on all things Happy Time Craftcast, be sure to subscribe to our newsletter. You'll receive exclusive content, updates on upcoming episodes, and exciting crafting tips and tricks.
I hope you're as inspired as I am to dive into the world of book folding artistry. Remember, creativity knows no bounds, and with a little imagination and the right techniques, you can turn old books into timeless masterpieces. Until next time, happy crafting!
Introduction and Overview (00:03 - 00:44)
- Joleen Emery introduces herself and the topic of the show, which is dedicated to the basics of book folding.
- She mentions that the show will include examples and a Q&A session.
Sourcing Books for Book Folding (00:44 - 04:51)
- Joleen discusses the environmental impact of paper waste and defends her use of books for art.
- She explains how she sources books from libraries, yard sales, recycling centers, and community donations.
- Emphasizes that she uses books that are otherwise destined for the landfill or are in poor condition.
Cleaning and Maintaining Folded Books (04:51 - 11:14)
- Joleen shares tips on cleaning books used in her art, specifically mentioning a Black & Decker Dustbuster Mini.
- She addresses concerns about dust accumulation on books and hot glue used in her projects.
- Joleen also discusses how she hangs the folded books on walls, including making holes in the book jackets and reinforcing them.
Methods for Hanging Folded Books (11:19 - 13:33)
- Joleen describes three methods for hanging folded books:
- Making a hole in the book jacket and reinforcing it with tape.
- Using florist wire to create a loop for hanging.
- Utilizing plate hangers, though she notes this method doesn't allow the book to hang flush against the wall.
Measure, Mark, and Fold (MMF) Technique (13:33 - 16:10)
- Joleen explains the MMF technique in book folding, which involves measuring and marking each page before folding to create specific designs.
- She mentions resources for MMF patterns and her preference for more abstract and freeform folding styles.
Tools and Tips for Book Folding (16:10 - 22:05)
- Discusses tools like a weighted page holder and bone folder for easier folding.
- Addresses a question about paper cuts, stating they are rare in her experience.
- Demonstrates the simplest fold, "The Silo," and a slightly more complex one, "The Sailboat."
Advanced Folding Techniques (22:44 - 35:12)
- Joleen demonstrates several complex folding patterns
- Tips for Consistent Folding
Variations of the Corset and Other Folds (35:12 - 43:15)
- Joleen introduces variations of the corset fold in book folding and encourages viewers to try it.
- She explains the pinwheel fold, where multiple pages are tucked into the gutter without creasing, creating an open look.
- Other folds discussed include the flower fold, a modified grain bin, and a modified paper airplane fold, each offering unique visual effects.
Benefits of Crafting and Meditation (43:15 - 49:58)
- Joleen discusses an article from CNN titled "This is your brain on Crafting," highlighting the meditative aspects of crafting.
- She shares her personal experience with book folding as a form of meditation and stress relief.
- The segment also touches on crafting as a natural antidepressant and its potential to prevent aging.
Current and Upcoming Projects (49:58 - 54:22)
- Joleen talks about her recent project, a Dark Angel artwork for her son.
- She describes her current project involving the gold edges of book pages.
- Emphasizes the importance of utilizing all parts of a book in her projects.
Current Crafting Project and Upcoming Events (54:22 - 1:01:30)
- Joleen describes her current project involving gold-edged coils from book pages to create a rainbow-themed artwork.
- She talks about upcoming retreats at Big Raven Farm, including a Valentine Couples Retreat and various crafting and yoga events.
- Announces her next guest on the Happy Time Craftcast, Andrea Nelson, for the January 24th episode.
Craft Club and Personal Q&A (1:01:30 - 1:07:45)
- Joleen introduces her craft club, which offers monthly art kits, including a lamp-making kit.
- She answers personal questions typically asked to her guests, sharing her favorite word, least favorite word, what turns her on creatively, and other personal preferences.
Viewer Questions and Closing Remarks (1:07:45 - 1:11:00)
Personal Reflections and Career Preferences (1:11:00 - 1:14:20)
Invitation to Subscribe to the Happy Time Craftcast newsletter (1:14:20 - 1:15:45)