On Tuesday we gave you a little sneak peek into Figure 4 classes. Now, we’ve gathered a few moves so you can bring Figure 4 into your own home, regardless of where you live. Special thanks to Shape Magazine and Kate Albarelli for putting together this ab circuit for all of you to enjoy.
Photos and instructions courtesy of Shape Magazine and Kate Albarelli.
- Lie on the ground facing upward with a firm pillow under your back so that the bottom of the pillow lines up with your bra line.
- Put your hands behind your head and extend your legs long on the floor.
- Bring your right knee up to table top.
- Crunch upward, bringing your elbows forward to your right knee, framing your knee with your elbows.
- 20 reps, switch legs. 3 sets total.
C-Curve with Pillows
- Move the pillow to high waist right below your ribcage.
- Lie high waist on the edge of the pillow and curve your spine to create a C shape. Only your waist should press into the cushion.
- Bend your knees and place your feet flat on the floor, holding your legs behind your knees and keeping your elbows soft.
- Stay in the rounded C-shape and reach your arms straights in front like Superman, making fists with each hand.
- Tap your fists together 20 times.
- Keep your arms extended and crunch 20 times, grabbing your thighs for a break.
- 3 sets total.
- Get rid of the pillow.
- Lie on your back and extend your legs straight up to the ceiling and your head an inch away from a couch. Extend your arms behind your head and curl your fingers underneath the couch, pointing your elbows towards the ceiling.
- Curl your tailbone up and lift your hips off the floor up to waist; lower.
- Ensure your legs don’t go in front of your face, they should be straight up and down.
- 20 reps and rest. 3 sets total.
- Move into a forearm plank with your fingers clasped. Bend both your knees an inch above the floor and straighten 20 times.
- Rest in child’s pose.
- 3 sets total.
- Lie on your side with your knees bent at 90 degrees and your toes behind the body.
- Bend your right arm 90 degrees with your elbow underneath the shoulder and extend your left arm towards the ceiling, keeping your shoulders stacked.
- Lift your upper body that your weight is supported by your legs and right arm.
- Push your hips up toward the ceiling, then down to the floor while keeping your body in a straight line.
- Lift and lower 20 times on each side.
Hinge Back Abs
- Sit on your tailbone and bring your legs to a bent diamond shape in front of your body.
- Place your hands on your hips, hinge backward and criss cross your ankles 20 times.
- Place your feet flat on the floor, keeping the knees bent tap them together 20 times. Keep your hands on your hips.
- Complete 3 sets of both portions.